Tuesday, August 17, 2004

XBox R.I.P.

My XBox died this weekend. It was almost three years old to the day. It displayed it's first diagnostic code (11) citing that I needed to contact tech support early on Saturday morning. By that afternoon, while I was trying to transfer all of my save games to memory cards, I received 5 more different diagnostic codes ranging from 04 - 11. It was obvious that something was very wrong here. After researching the XBox technical support route and discovering that it would cost me $50+ each way just to ship the box to the tech address, and that then I would have to add the cost of repairs, I decided to simply pop out to the local store and buy a new one. After having visited three stores that were out of stock, I was beginning to get a little concerned about which deities I may have offended lately. It turns out, according to a sales girl at the EBX that sold me their LAST XBox in stock, that MS had decided to seriously cut back on production because people don't play as many video games during the summer months. Evidently something went very wrong in the chain of communications here because I had been chasing people all day who were bloodthirsty for their little green (black) boxes.

The other surprise that I received this weekend was the news that apparently three years is considered to be a long lifespan for an XBox, and that 1-2 years is more typical. Considering that I still have a working NES that is over 20 years old, I have to call into question that modern manufacturing techniques have progressed over the last couple of decades. It is times like this when the conspiracy theories about planned obselescence don't seem quite as far fetched.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home